This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions

Postby Seibertron » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:09 am

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Earlier this week, auctions were pulled off eBay for 3 Classics figures (Sunstreaker, Prowl and Tankor) that have not been released yet. It appeared that Hasbro was finally taking a stand against the early releases and/or prototypes from China that keep showing up early on eBay (often referred to as "stolen" or "lunch time specials"). Seibertron.com now has confirmation that Hasbro is indeed starting to go after these types of auctions (please see the message below). It is our hope that Hasbro will begin going after the G1 knock offs as well and put an end to the increasing problem of the market from early releases of upcoming figures and knock offs.

In the interest of full disclosure, the eBay user mentioned below, chicagorhinox, is the account for Ryan Yzquierdo, the owner of Seibertron.com and the writer of this news post.

Dear chicagorhinox,

You recently listed the following auction-style listing:

170208223501 - Transformers Animated Bulkhead Red Prototype Complete

The listing was removed because it violated eBay policy. We notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has been canceled.

The rights owner, Hasbro, Inc., notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law.

Trademark infringement is unlawful and violates eBay's policies. A trademark is a unique sign (such as a name, word, phrase, logo, or symbol) that a company uses to identify its products and/or services.

Using another company's trademark in a way that may confuse buyers about the source of goods or services, or confuses buyers into believing that the seller is affiliated with, sponsored by or endorsed by the trademark owner is both illegal and against eBay's policies. Examples include counterfeits, unauthorized replica items and items that bear the brand or logo of a company without that company's permission.

Guideline: If the product you are listing bears the brand or logo of a company, but it wasn't made or authorized by that company, don't sell it on eBay.

Parallel import laws may prohibit the unauthorized importation of branded products into certain other countries. Sellers who intend to ship branded items outside of the country for which the item was intended for distribution may be required to get authorization from the trademark owner to sell those items in other countries. This may be true even if the good is genuine and legal to distribute in the seller's country.

For more information, please visit the following Help pages:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/importation.html
http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/trademark.html

To take the intellectual property tutorial, please visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tutorial/ver ... intro.html

Please be aware that any additional violations of this policy may result in the suspension of your account. eBay understands that you may be concerned about this situation.We encourage you to contact Hasbro, Inc. directly if you have any questions.

You can send an email to: [[[ EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED BY SEIBERTRON.COM ]]]

For more information on how eBay protects Intellectual Property, or for additional information if you believe that your listing has been removed as a result of an error or misidentification, please visit the following Help page:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/programs-vero-ov.html

For more information on why eBay may remove a listing, please visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/listing-ended.html

Please be assured that your listings have not been targeted in any way. Although there may be similar items currently listed on eBay, we review all listings that are reported to us by eBay members or Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) program participants. We rely on reports from our members to help maintain the safety and security of our Community. We encourage you to report any items by using the REPORT THIS ITEM button on the listing so we can quickly remove any other items that should be removed.

Your listing(s) may be eligible for relisting through My eBay. If your listing is eligible, you will see the listing in your Unsold Items page within My eBay. Listings that are not eligible for relisting will not be visible in the Unsold Items page.

To relist your item, sign in to eBay, go to My eBay to your Unsold items, and select the item that was canceled -- it's highlighted with a yellow banner. Before relisting, please make any changes necessary to ensure that your revised listing is in compliance with the law and eBay policies. You might want to check your other listings for similar violations as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
eBay Trust & Safety
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3557
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: Hasbro taking action against prototypes on eBay

Postby Cyberstrike » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:19 am

Motto: "I don't lose, I CONQUER!"
Weapon: Electro-Sword
OK, I can understand that but what about stuff like G2 Motormaster
prototype? The last I heard that Hasbro isn't planning on releasing it
as part of any of the current lines?
Cyberstrike
Headmaster
Watch Cyberstrike on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 5

Re: Hasbro taking action against prototypes on eBay

Postby Seibertron » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:31 am

Cyberstrike wrote:OK, I can understand that but what about stuff like G2 Motormaster
prototype? The last I heard that Hasbro isn't planning on releasing it
as part of any of the current lines?

I believe that they are only taking action against figures that show up on eBay that haven't been released yet. I imagine it's probably too late for regular Transformers Animated figures since they've been released in the Cincinatti market. The prototype I was selling probably still falls within eBay's violations of some sort even though the rest of the Animated figures do not at this time. The upcoming Universe (Classics 2.0) figures haven't been released in any capacity so they easily fall within infringements of Hasbro.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions

Postby Cyberjet #7 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:53 am

I guess the rule of thumb is:

If Hasbro plans on making money on it first they don't want other people to.

But I'm very encouraged about possible action against the KOs.
Cyberjet #7
Headmaster Jr

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:00 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Ok, Ryan, so if you can't sell your Bulkhead proto, what're ya gonna do with it?
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 439
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Seibertron » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:04 am

Sabrblade wrote:Ok, Ryan, so if you can't sell your Bulkhead proto, what're ya gonna do with it?

I just can't sell it on eBay. :D

I guess I'll sell it to the first person to email me telling me they're going to send me $150 plus $8 for shipping and handling via Paypal.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby dragons » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:06 am

it reminds me alot like like of youtube and there restrictions on the complete episodes that are being hosted i can understand youtube piont of veiw in somesituations.

but who cares if its just some prototypes or not
dragons
Gestalt
News Credits: 21

Postby Trikeboy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:25 am

Why are Hasbro not tackling all the Botcon 2008 auctions then. I'm not complaining because I got Evil Rodimus for £63.20 ($124.77) and they are going for over $200. However, I was watching auctions for the souvenir minicons but they have disappeared from ebay.
Watch the first of my youtube series, Friends Transform.

Trikeboy
Brainmaster
News Credits: 10

Postby TFBuyer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:33 am

Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Trikeboy wrote:I'm not complaining because I got Evil Rodimus for £63.20 ($124.77) and they are going for over $200.

Not that you didn't make a great point, but you got Evil Rodimus for that much!? I haven't seen one under $230, minus shipping!

Recent TF Purchases--Transformers Power of the Primes!
TFBuyer
Headmaster
News Credits: 2
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 4
Skill: 10

Postby Glitcher » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:42 am

I wondered what happened to that Classics Prowl I was watching. So Hasbro's taking action against official products, but not KO's? That's getting their priorities straight. ¬_¬
Glitcher
Combiner

Postby capellamusic » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:57 am

Motto: "Sex, food and rock'n'roll"
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
Wheelie say, kill the damn KOs today :D
Optimus Prime: Great... but how are we gonna explain to capellamusic the hole on his wall?
Megatron: Hmm... a free natural air conditioning system?
capellamusic
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 4
Buy from capellamusic on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 3
Courage: 4

Postby Trikeboy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:03 am

TFBuyer wrote:
Trikeboy wrote:I'm not complaining because I got Evil Rodimus for £63.20 ($124.77) and they are going for over $200.

Not that you didn't make a great point, but you got Evil Rodimus for that much!? I haven't seen one under $230, minus shipping!

I know, I couldn't believe it. Here is the item number: 260226819371. I was actually quite excited in the closing seconds. There is a classic Prowl currently up on ebay but I guess it will be gone before it finishes. Is Hasbro only doing this with eBay?
Watch the first of my youtube series, Friends Transform.

Trikeboy
Brainmaster
News Credits: 10

Postby StryderPrime » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:58 pm

I did mention in one board on here that i surprise that Hasbro havent yet took any actions against ppl selling their products b4 their release date cause the sellers are making a killing on ebay and other auctions and i know Hasbro will eventually do something about cause they losing customers and profit over it.
StryderPrime
Fuzor

Postby shortround » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:06 pm

All I can say is karma a bitch.
Serpentor "I am the one born to rule and destined to conquer. Let those who fear me, follow me. Let those who oppose me, die."
shortround
Gestalt
News Credits: 7

Postby NuclearConvoy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:07 pm

I'd say it's about time.
Hopefully this will lead to knock-off G1 stuff getting dealt with.
NuclearConvoy
Godmaster
News Credits: 8

Postby capellamusic » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:21 pm

NuclearConvoy wrote:I'd say it's about time.
Hopefully this will lead to knock-off G1 stuff getting dealt with.

I hope so, the KOs really started to annoy me after buying a G1 Buzzsaw on eBay and then finding out it was a KO upon receiving it. The listing was selling it as a vintage item. The seller was yc-collection.
Optimus Prime: Great... but how are we gonna explain to capellamusic the hole on his wall?
capellamusic
Headmaster Jr

Postby Down_Shift » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:43 pm

Motto: "Everyone has a bad hobby or a bad habit and I'd rather have a bad hobby over a bad habit."
Weapon: Rust Ray Gun
In one aspect, I'm glad they are doing this.

On the other hand, I'm pissed I'll have to wait for Universe to come out to actually see new Seibertron galleries.

TFcon Third Party Host
www.tfcon.ca
www.cybertron.ca - Canadian Transformers News First!

Blurrz wrote:Down_Shift is a god...
Down_Shift
Faction Commander
News Credits: 335
Speed: 8
Courage: 7
Skill: 6

Postby Geekee1 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:50 pm

I really hope they start going after the KO makers hardcore. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so close to the originals and use the copyright and trademark stamps. I've seen posts that show the differences, but by the time that I see them in real life I can't remember what to look for.
Geekee1
Godmaster
News Credits: 7

Postby capellamusic » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:03 pm

Geekee1 wrote:I really hope they start going after the KO makers hardcore. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so close to the originals and use the copyright and trademark stamps. I've seen posts that show the differences, but by the time that I see them in real life I can't remember what to look for.

If people said "no" to KOs instead of buying and supporting them, maybe they wouldn't be so intensely produced and sold. So, maybe it's our fault as well. We have to boicot the KOs in order to end them.
capellamusic
Headmaster Jr

Postby Liege Evilmus » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:24 pm

Slap on the wrist eh?

Well, you can be glad that you at least got the galleries up first!

A question though, where you reselling these because you didn't want the over head(space is valuable) or because you didn't feel they where worth keeping in general?

My Collection, updated 4/21(sorta)... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35550&p=627727#p627727
Liege Evilmus
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 8

Postby Down_Shift » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:33 pm

Motto: "Everyone has a bad hobby or a bad habit and I'd rather have a bad hobby over a bad habit."
Weapon: Rust Ray Gun
Hey Boss Monkey, what about you know who? *Will we still be getting a gallery?

*just a tinnnnnny hint ladies and gents :wink:

TFcon Third Party Host
www.tfcon.ca
www.cybertron.ca - Canadian Transformers News First!

Blurrz wrote:Down_Shift is a god...
Down_Shift
Faction Commander
News Credits: 335
Speed: 8
Courage: 7
Skill: 6

Postby Barrelass » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:58 pm

My only concern with going after the KOs is that the KO folks are gonna try harder at passing them off as originals. Right now it seems like most of the KO people on ebay are pretty good about listing them as KOs.

Now if hasbro takes action, a lot of these folks may start selling them without the boxes as originals. They will probably get shut down fast, but it may cloud the market even more. It will be nice to start searching on ebay and not having 75% KOs come up on the search.
Barrelass
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 5

Postby influence82 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:52 pm

Motto: "Decepticons will crush the Autobots!
---Leader Starscream"
Weapon: No Weapon
I say it is about time. The preview items listed were probably stolen from the factory in China, as Hasbro would not sell nor authorize people to sell their items before they are officially released. The Intellectual property does belong to Hasbro/TakaraTomy, so they have every right to protect it. China lacks any intellectual property protection, so at least Hasbro can petition eBay in USA to help them protect their intellectual property.

As for the knockoffs, there is really little incentive to go after them because 1) they are too numerous, 2) difficult to verify, and 3) Hasbro/TakaraTomy is not selling them anymore, so it does not hurt their bottom line.

The incredible prices and sales of prototypes and knock offs are mostly caused by the consumer demand. If people did not want it, others would not sell it. It is simple economics. You cannot really put all the blame on the sellers for wanting to sell things that people want to buy.
Free commerce is the basis of peace.
See my Sell/wishlist here.
influence82
Mini-Con
News Credits: 1
Buy from influence82 on eBay

Postby capellamusic » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:09 pm

influence82 wrote:As for the knockoffs, there is really little incentive to go after them because 1) they are too numerous, 2) difficult to verify, and 3) Hasbro/TakaraTomy is not selling them anymore, so it does not hurt their bottom line.

That's not true, I mean, the 3rd one. There are KOs for toys from the Movie and the Classics lines, which are current, and even KOs for recent G1 reissues, and even recent to-be-reissues, like Metroplex and its KO. There are plenty KOs that are in fact illegal and not just for old products not being sold anymore (but they may be sold again in reissues, like what's happening on the Encore line).
capellamusic
Headmaster Jr

Postby Chevy_Ironhide » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:09 pm

Hmm, maybe this has something to do with why the guy who sells the MYM "Reissue" TF's is no longer a registered eBay user.
Formally Silverado Bot

My collection so far: Voyager movie Prime, '76 Bumblebee(2x), Concept Camero Bumblebee, FB Jazz, dlx Brawl, movie Starscream, movie Barricade, Alternator Skids, Movie Ironhide, Movie Ratchet, movie Dropkick, movie Arcee, movie Armorhide

Heroes never truly die
Chevy_Ironhide
Micromaster

Next

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #1 Cvr L 1:25 Boom Studios Comics OCT220280 1L (CA)Eastman+Williams"
MMPR TMNT II #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #113 Cvr D 1:10 Boom Studios Comics 113D Barends"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR THE RETURN #3 Cvr C 1:10 Boom Studios Comics 2024 FEB240071 3C (CA) Montes"
NEW!
MMPR THE RETURN #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #5 Cvr F 1:10 Boom Studios Comics FEB230325 5F (CA)Eastman+Williams"
MMPR TMNT II #5 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Power Rangers UNLIMITED HYPERFORCE #1 Cvr C 1:10 Boom Studios Comics 1C"
Power Rangers UNLI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #5 Cvr E cardstock Boom Studios Comics FEB230324 5E (CA) Clarke"
MMPR TMNT II #5 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #115 Cvr C Boom Studios Comics 2023 OCT230076 115C"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #119 Cvr D 1:10 Boom Studios Comics FEB240065 119D"
NEW!
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #113 Cvr H FOC Boom Studios Comics AUG230030 113H"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR 30TH ANNV SPECIAL #1 Cvr C Boom Studios Comics JUN230421 (CA)Blevins+Austin"
MMPR 30TH ANNV SPE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr W 1:50 FOIL VIRGIN Dynamite Comics DEC230226 1W (CA) Tao"
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr D Dynamite Comics 2024 DEC230207 1D (CA) Lee + Chung"
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #4 Cvr A Dynamite Comics 2024 MAR240164 4A (CA) Nakayama (W) Shalvey"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #4 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Power Rangers UNLIMITED COINLESS #1 Cvr D 1:25 Boom Studios Comics APR230357 1D"
Power Rangers UNLI ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #350 - Oops! All Optimus
Twincast / Podcast #350:
"Oops! All Optimus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, May 18th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Starscream Figure Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Octone and Murk" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations, Platinum Edition, One Shall Stand, One Shall Fall" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Team Combiner Ultra Bee, 8.5-inch" on AMAZON